Think about antipodes when it comes to white hat vs. black hat SEO. They are the opposite of each other. Simply put, white hat SEO practices adhere to search engine guidelines, whereas black hat SEO is bad SEO practices that go against the search engine guidelines.
Google has always been upfront about issuing penalties to websites that breach the guidelines. It is safe to say black hat SEO goes against the guidelines, whereas white hat SEO sticks to them. In this spirit, white hat SEO builds great web experiences through quality content, backlinks, and a great user experience.
To understand the accepted SEO practices, looking into what white and black-hat SEO entails is important.
Understanding White Hat SEO
Using white hat SEO techniques is the best opportunity to move the needle in SEO and digital marketing. White hat SEO boosts your site’s search ranking while at the same time preserving the integrity of your website.
If you are wondering why white hat SEO is so important, it protects your website from being penalized and ensures it remains visible in the search results. Think about all the work you have put into growing your website. Failure to embrace only white-hat SEO practices can make it all melt away, and your site could suffer tremendous consequences.
It is not worth the risk, so you need an in-depth description of the white hat SEO practices you need to build a successful website. Here are white hat SEO practices with the potential to double your traffic.
4 White Hat SEO Techniques that Follow Search Engine Guidelines
Here are white hat SEO strategies to help you outperform competitors without breaking the rules.
Optimize your Site’s UX
Making your website easily navigable and optimizing its user experience through a good interface or speed is one of the best white hat techniques. The good thing is that search engines like Google offer a range of diagnostic tools like PageSpeed insights you can leverage to enhance the experience.
Here are ways to boost your website’s user experience:
- Optimization for mobile: Optimize your website to ensure it is responsive and provides a smooth experience for mobile users. Optimize the functionality and layout of the design as search engines consider mobile-friendly websites during ranking.
- Optimize the page loading speed: Enhance your website’s performance by reducing the page loading speed, as slow-loading pages lead to high bounce rates and negatively affect the user experience. You can reduce the page loading time through image compression, caching, and code optimization.
- Smooth navigation: A site with easy navigation and a straightforward structure allows users to easily find what they want. Optimizing the navigation bar to meet the needs of your audience, making the sidebars stand out, making the fonts legible, and including search functionality will make your site more navigable.
Create Quality Content
According to HubSpot research, 75% of users don’t navigate past the first page of SERPs. This shows how important it is to create helpful and compelling content that visitors will be willing to consume and share. Your content should solve their problems and address their needs and wants.
To create high-quality content:
- Understand the search intent: Ensure your content aligns with the needs of your audience. Identify whether the users are browsing to find something to buy, looking for answers to a question, or a solution to a problem.
- Curate multimedia content: Adding visuals like infographics, screenshots, videos, and charts will enhance your content and boost engagement.
- Look out for trending topics: Use relevant topics to choose content ideas. Your audience will engage better with relevant content, so check what competitors publish and find trending topics to inspire your list of themes.
Do Keyword Research
Keyword research and analytics is the safest approach to creating content that satisfies search intent. Through keyword research, you will get insights to help you identify phrases your target audience uses in their queries.
Here are some insights for effective keyword research:
- Be attentive to your audience: Listen to your target audience and identify their wording when looking for something.
- Identify how popular and competitive the keywords are: With keyword research tools like Google Adwords, you can identify keywords with high search volume and low competition.
- Track keyword performance: After choosing the keywords on your website, track their performance through site analytics and see which phrases draw visitors to your site.
Optimize your Links
Links are important ranking factors, so you should optimize them to make your content visible in the search results. Backlinks, outbound, and internal links affect your SEO efforts, so you should improve them to boost your rankings.
Here are tips on how to use them:
- Build quality external links: Ensure you link to relevant and reputable sites that would be of genuine interest to your target audience.
- Optimize anchor texts: Anchor texts allow the search engines to identify the context of the linked web page. It is essential to use keywords in the anchor texts to help the search engine understand what the content is about.
- Disavow poor-quality backlinks: Disavow backlinks if they come from spammy or poor-quality websites since they could negatively impact your site’s ranking. To disavow a backlink, add the URL to the disavow file.
- Use jump links: Jump links will help your site’s visitors easily navigate long pages. You can easily add them to your WordPress site. They are used at the beginning of the page or TOCs.
Using the white hat SEO techniques described above will not only prevent your website from being blacklisted but also preserve the integrity of your website and consequently boost your ranking in the search engine results pages.
Black Hat SEO Explained
Black hat SEO tactics are manipulative and unethical strategies to improve a site’s running in search engines. It features a plethora of risky tactics that do more harm than good. Instead of helping the users, they rely on algorithm loopholes to achieve a high ranking on the search engine and often attract penalties from search engines.
Black hat SEO is the opposite of white hat SEO. While white-hat SEO techniques abide by search engine guidelines, black-hat SEO violates them. Black hat SEO features aggressive techniques that only focus on the search engine without regard for human user experience.
Black Hat SEO Techniques to Avoid
Understanding black hat SEO techniques will help you avoid potential risks such as penalties, damage to your site’s credibility and reputation, and a significant drop in traffic and ranking. Below are some unethical SEO practices:
- Keyword Stuffing
Keyword stuffing involves using irrelevant keywords to influence your ranking on search engines. Keyword stuffing is easy to spot and often puts the users off. When you curate content stuffed with keywords, you shift your attention from the readers and direct it to ranking, resulting in a poor user experience.
This could make your page rank for inconsequential queries and attract penalties from search engines.
When users find your content non-engaging due to stuffing, they will leave for other sites, leading to a high bounce rate on your site.
What counts as keyword stuffing?
- Unnecessary repetition of phrases: Using words repeatedly throughout the content is considered stuffing. The unnecessary use of irrelevant phrases in a content piece also counts as stuffing.
- Hiding keywords: Hiding phrases using the same color font and background to conceal repeated words is considered stuffing. While readers may miss this, search engines and crawlers will notice it.
To avoid keyword stuffing, focus on creating content that will engage and help the readers rather than impressing the search engines.
Search engines like Google consider buying and selling links as link schemes. Buying links to manipulate your site’s rank violates the Google Webmaster Guidelines and warrants penalties if detected.
If you bought links without knowing it is a black hat strategy, remove them immediately. Get the webmasters to remove or use the disavow tool to withdraw them.
The truth is, paid links do work. However, it is difficult not to get caught, so the risk is not worth it. While they might pump your site into the search results pages, it won’t be long before the search engine ignores those links.
Buying links is expensive, so you would rather do a link outreach. Create valuable content and reach out to a website owner with a good reason to link it.
One of the easiest ways to destroy your website’s ranking is by publishing duplicate content. Duplicating or plagiarizing content violates trademark and copyright laws, and Google considers it poor web design.
Google is keen on ranking high-quality domains and will penalize plagiarism. To avoid plagiarism and content duplication, create valuable, original, and engaging content that addresses the needs of your target audience.
The use of redirects is a common SEO practice, often used in site migration or updating URLs. However, when redirects are used to trick users by sending them to different sites than they requested, sneaky redirects may also show users one type of content and search engines different content.
They are deceptive, and Google considers them a black hat SEO strategy and a violation of its guidelines. Not only can they result in low site ranking, but they are also grounds for manual penalty, so avoid them.
While some SEO professionals may use black hat SEO techniques to boost search engine ranking, the improvements are short-lived. Violating search engine guidelines does more harm than good and will penalize your website and put off visitors.
The Importance of Adhering to Search Engine Guidelines
Without white hat SEO, the search engine results pages would be in disarray. Without the search engine guidelines, web owners would employ black hat SEO techniques to rank, and users would be forced to sieve through a mountain of websites and search results to find helpful content.
By highlighting white hat SEO strategies, search engines like Google ensure that only websites with valuable and quality content are ranked, and visitors enjoy a great experience. You are more likely to rank by sticking to ethical SEO practices, which will help you build authority and organic traffic.
Boost Your Content Strategy with ContentGo
Content is synonymous with SEO, and if you want organic traffic, ranking, and visibility, you must commit yourself to curating optimized content. Content and SEO have a strong bond, which can catapult your website to the top of the search results.
White hat SEO techniques effectively enhance your rankings without risking low ranking, penalties, or losing visitors. While some might feel playing by the rules is daunting, reputable SEO professionals understand that creating a lasting web presence is the best way.
Looking for support with your content aspect of SEO? ContentGo provides practical online solutions and a team of expert writers that make it easy to access professionally written content. Whether you are looking for multimedia content, marketing materials, or a partner to help you publish content, ContentGo has it all.
Don’t wait any longer. Please proceed to our publisher registration page and kick off your content journey with the support of the best content creators.
White Hat vs. Black Hat SEO Bottom Line
After the white hat vs. black hat SEO analysis, you now understand the importance of embracing ethical SEO practices to boost your rank on search engines. Businesses need a presence on search engines, and it is imperative to employ white hat techniques for lasting results.
By using the white hat SEO strategies discussed, your website will continue to keep your audience engaged, deliver a good user experience, and ultimately get noticed by search engines.